Thursday, December 01, 2005

A new kind of bling for the streets of LA

I will rarely just link to an article and make some brief comments. This is one of those times.

Well, Well: Oil Rigs Return. This is an article my dad sent me a few days back. I finally got around to checking it out and since I haven't posted anything in a while I thought I'd let the blogoshpere know what I thought...

My first reaction: Great! Let's just dig it all up now as fast as we can! Not to worry, this article says there is "plenty" left!!! And by "plenty" they mean "I actually have no idea how much recoverable oil is left in southern California, but I read somewhere it was like a billion barrels! That's gotta be plenty!" I also have no idea how much oil is left in SoCal. But with US consumption over 20 million barrels per day, a billion barrels ain't all that much...

The average human being's first reaction: Great! Now maybe gas prices in CA will go down some. (i'm guessing, being that i'm not any sort of average human being, other than in my physical attributes and my love for trader joe's fresh packed hot salsa.)

So where is the "best" most well-measured reaction to the article? As usual, probably somewhere inbetween what a freak like me thinks and what the average human being thinks. We definitely need more product to keep the wheels of growth turning (pun intended) but at the same time, the wheels can't keep turning forever...

2 Comments:

Blogger and i said...

calling myself a "freak" and such other self-depricating statements were meant to be somewhat humorous. don't call the suicide hotline on me or anything.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Brian Addison Bucher said...

I might if I knew you'd seen the oil platforms dotting the waters around Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. It's really depressing.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home